Saturday, December 31, 2011

Welcome, 2012!

The past few weeks have been so full of family, friends, and fun that most days I had no idea what day it was.

My grandparents flew in from Montana to spend Ben's first Christmas with him. We baked and cooked. A lot. Nana showed Mom and me how to make my great-grandmother's sweet bread. We sat around the table and Grampa told us about what Christmas was like around his house in the 1940s. We were spoiled with gifts and spoiled just to have them with us.





Tim's parents drove up from Houston to visit for a few days. It was a quick trip but I know they soaked up the time with Ben and it was nice to exchange gifts in person!





Santa brought Ben his very own Radio Flyer wagon and he is in luuuuuuve. We've gone for a walk every single day.



I hosted all my "high school girls," (who are now college freshman) and are home for the semester break. I'm so proud of the beautiful, smart, funny young ladies they have become, and I'm thankful they are still willing to hang out with me, all these years later.



We survived the Christmas Eve service at church with Ben in our laps. It was so special to go to church as a little family of three, but it was also kind of (okay, incredibly) stressful trying to keep an eight-month-old quiet through the service. I didn't get any pictures, but I'm sure we won't forget the experience any time soon. The service concluded just as Ben gagged and threw up the rice puffs I kept shoving in his mouth to try to keep him quiet. Eh.

We celebrated our eighth wedding anniversary, which included me spending my first night away from Ben! Tim surprised me with an entire evening in downtown Fort Worth. We walked around the city, ate some great food, drank some good wine, and were in that huge, wonderful bed in our hotel room (watching cable) by 8:00pm. It was laid back and glorious and I'm so glad Tim "made" me leave Ben and go.



We drove around and saw Christmas lights, went to the movies, and shared great meals with great friends. Priceless, precious memories. We have been so busy living life that I haven't had much time to sit down and write about it.

In all the (good) busyness, I wanted to take the time to wish all of you a VERY Happy 2012. This year has been a year of tremendous blessing for us, but I have lots of friends and family members who have fought through difficulties and suffered incredible losses. Before we close out this year, may I encourage you to take the time to reflect on all the ways God has blessed you? After all, He promises to use EVERYTHING for the good of those who love Him (Romans 8:28), even the tough stuff.

Here's to 2012 and everything it will bring! Happy New Year to you!

No comments: