Thursday, January 12, 2012

Changed.

I'm writing this post in response to a video dozens of my friends have posted on Facebook. The video "Why I Hate Religion, But Love Jesus" has gone viral over the last two days.

Having grown up in church, I've had a front row seat to some of the problems religion and legalism create. I felt compelled to respond specifically to one thing Jefferson says:

"The problem with religion is that it never gets to the core.
It's just behavior modification with a long list of chores."

So true. Religion doesn't change us, but loving Jesus does. When the core of us is changed, our behaviors and attitudes begin to reflect that change.

We can't confuse the freedom we have in Jesus with a license to behave however we want.

Paul made this very point to the church in Galatia. Galatians 5:13 says, "You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature."

He goes on to say in Romans 5:19, "The acts of the sinful nature are obvious; sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God."

When we truly love Jesus, we hate our sin because we realize how it grieves Him.

When we truly love Jesus, our behaviors are naturally modified because we desire to honor and obey Him, and because we trust that the behaviors He commands of us are ultimately for our good.

Because I love Jesus, I will speak kindly to those I disagree with politically.

Because I love Jesus, I will dress in a way that honors God.

Because I love Jesus, I will turn off the television to guard my heart and my mind.

Because I love Jesus, I will speak honestly.

Because I love Jesus, I will give to the poor.

Because I love Jesus, I will take care of my body.

Because I love Jesus, I will fight for my marriage and honor my vows.

Because I love Jesus, I will not have too much to drink.

And on and on and on. I don't do these things because my religion commands them, I do these things because my God commands them. Is it always easy? Of course not. Do I mess up every day? Have you met me?

I ask God for grace and mercy to flee from sin and walk humbly with Him. These good works will not save me, but the fact that Jesus saved me demands a response from me.

An apple tree produces apples. An orange tree produces oranges. Someone who loves Jesus and has the Holy Spirit living inside of them produces "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control" (Galatians 5:22).

We reject self-righteousness, but we live righteously. We live differently. Jesus has changed us. When we truly love Jesus, others will know it.

No comments: