Sunday, November 6, 2011

Gobble, Gobble.

My Mom has a gift for making each holiday festive and fun. She allowed Anthony and me to be as involved as possible in decorating and preparing for each celebration.

In November, Mom would cut a big brown turkey out of construction paper, complete with a red gobbler and skinny little legs. Then she cut out dozens of red, yellow, and orange feathers. The turkey got taped up on the pantry door, and every day in November we'd take a feather, write down what we were thankful for, and meticulously place the feather on the turkey's back. By Thanksgiving, the turkey looked good enough to eat.

I imagine one day I'll do pretty much the same thing for Ben, but I went a different direction this year since I stink at drawing turkeys and his handwriting still leaves something to be desired.

This year, we went a bit simpler and made a "Thanksgiving Tree."



I cut a few small branches off the oak tree in our front yard and put them in a vase. Doesn't get much easier than that. I cut scrapbook paper into squares, punched a hole in each piece, and cut up some twine. Every day, each of us writes down something we're thankful for and ties it on the "tree."



Granted, Ben's not really pulling his own weight on this little project. Every evening, I think of something that has made Ben smile that day and I write that on a card for him.


We are enjoying this daily ritual so much, we might just have to do it year-round.

1 comment:

Jess C. said...

I love this idea. Very creative, and such a wonderful, visual way to remember the purpose for Thanksgiving!