Monday, November 14, 2011

Color, Color, Color.

I'm in craft mode and there's no telling when it may end.

Tim and Ben humored me and helped with this print for Ben's bedroom.



It took a few tries to get exactly what I wanted. I tried the paint in different shades of gray and eventually decided I wanted bright colors to match Ben's room.

(In case you can't tell, the green hand is Tim's, the light blue is mine, and the dark blue is little Ben's.)

I honestly couldn't have imagined how difficult it would be to get a 7 month old's hand print. While I attempted to paint his little hand, he grabbed and squeezed the sponge brush, making paint drip everywhere. When I'd finally adequately covered his hand with paint, I couldn't get him to open his hand so I could press it flat. All Ben wanted to do was grab at the paper, so Tim had to hold Ben and both of Ben's arms while I attempted to pry his little hand open and press it flat against the paper. It was quite a sight.

You can see that Ben's print is smudged a little, but I don't mind. Every time I look at it, I'll remember him as this busy, active little guy that we just can't hold down.

While Tim was gone camping this weekend, Ben and I made some crayon art for his room. I found a few bright chipboard animals and pulled out crayons that match them. I lined them all up on a canvas- red and black next to the tiger, yellow and brown by the giraffe, etc.



I glued all the crayons in place...



Then I went to work with the hairdryer. I thought it would be pretty mindless, but the darker colors melted much faster than the lighter colors, and although I hadn't realized it until now, I don't think my hairdryer distributes heat evenly. It took a little bit of finesse to get everything melted evenly and straighten out a few of the colors that splashed all over, but we got it.

Note: Ben doesn't like the hairdryer and cried the entire ten minutes it took me to melt the crayons. Sorry, Buddy, but the crafting must go on!



Once the crayon had dried on the canvas, I glued the animals in place and hung it on the wall. Ben LOVES looking at all the bright colors and seems to have recovered from the trauma of the hairdryer.



Ben's room is slowly becoming more and more bright and personalized. He adds such color and fun to our little home.

No comments: