Monday, October 10, 2011

A Clear Calling.

When I quit my job to stay home with Ben a few months ago, our budget changed considerably. I absolutely believe that I am right where I’m supposed to be, but we are making some very real sacrifices to make it happen.

I know so many moms who stay home with their little ones and still find ways to generate income, and I’ve been plagued with this nagging feeling that I should be doing something to contribute financially. Certainly, any little bit that I could manage would help us live more freely. Sometimes I almost feel lazy because I’m not contributing more. Tim has done nothing to make me feel this way. This nagging comes from deep within me – it is the “achiever”, the honor roll student, the Type A firstborn, the problem-solver, the multi-tasker. Still, as I’ve thought and prayed about what I could or should do, I’ve had no real direction and no real peace.

We are working our way through the book of Acts in my weekly Bible Study. Last week we read about how the disciples, steeped in prayer and ministry, grew the early church. The church was experiencing a period of incredible growth when some of the Greek Jews complained that their widows were being overlooked during the daily distribution of food (Acts 6). The twelve disciples gathered and discussed the situation before them. Undoubtedly, the widows needed to be fed, but the disciples concluded, “It would not be right for us to neglect the ministry of the word of God in order to wait on tables” (Acts 6:2).

The issue wasn’t that waiting tables was "below" the disciples, or that the concern was not valid. The issue was that the twelve disciples weren’t called to solve this problem first-hand. Instead of interrupting their ministry to feed the widows, the twelve wisely decided to appoint seven other men to take on the responsibility of ensuring the widows were fed.

The disciples were not distracted. This crisis did not divert them. Feeding the widows was a noble pursuit, but it wasn’t the pursuit they were called to. The disciples did not multi-task just because they could. The disciples had a clear calling, and they remained focused.

The seven men the disciples appointed to take care of the widows became the first deacons of the church, and because the twelve disciples went on with their ministry, “the word of God spread” (Acts 6:7).

This portion of our study spoke so clearly to me.

Providing financially for our family is a noble calling, but it is not my calling. Not right now. Tim and I have prayed about this together, and we are in agreement. God has called Tim to provide for our little family financially, and He has called me to focus my time, energy, and attention on caring for our son and our home. Although I am often tempted to pick up some work and allow us a little more financial breathing room, we will live within the budget that Tim's income provides us, we will control our spending to the best of our ability, and we will trust that God will provide for all of our needs, just as He's promised.

I realize that this isn't the case in every family. There are certainly moms who are called to financial pursuits, and God could provide an opportunity like that for me before too long. Each family has a unique situation, and this is where our family is right now.

So here is my takeaway: Just because I can doesn’t mean I should. Just because the cause is noble, doesn’t mean it’s my cause. This was a revelation for this multi-tasker.

I’m so thankful for this challenge. Instead of feeling guilty that I'm I'm not bringing home any bacon, I've found peace in remembering and maintaining my focus.

What about you? Are there things you are pursuing or situations you are tending to that are distracting you from the things you’ve been called to?

No comments: