Friday, August 26, 2011

Living the Dream

This morning, I received a text from a friend that said, "So, I got pooped on TWICE, spit up on multiple times, dog was covered in mud from backyard... All before 11 this morning! BUT we made it to the donut shop! And the sweet lady carried Ellie all the way to the car for me... She must have been able to tell it had been a rough morning."

I laughed (because what mom can't relate to that?) and responded to the text with, "Ha! Just another day livin' the dream!"

It's true, my days are filled with poop, drool, laundry, bouncing, rocking, and books. We spend lots of time staring at the same toy, pointing to shapes and animals and colors for the hundredth time. Working outside of the home was definitely more mentally stimulating, although being home is challenging in a completely different way. As an event coordinator, I put together events for 500 people. These days, I feel good about coordinating a trip to the grocery store without a major meltdown (from Ben or me). Most days, I'm lucky to be showered before noon. I call Tim several times each day just to have a little adult conversation to carry me through a few more hours, but Ben sits on the counter and jabbers to me as we measure out ingredients and put dinner together. He is such a sweet, smiley, messy, loud little side-kick.

God designed a mother's heart to puddle at her baby's smile, and just one of those little smiles makes the messy days and the sleepless nights worth it all.

I love the way my friend Allison, who stays at home with her little one, Madeline, put it: "Our days are simple but rich, I believe." As mundane and exhausting as some days can be, we really are living the dream. What an incredible blessing to be able to spend every day with my child- an answer to a prayer Tim and I have prayed for the last several years.

No comments: