Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Help



I was probably the last woman in America to read "The Help," but I started it on my birthday a few weeks ago and finished it on Monday. While that may not seem impressive to you, I'm in the middle of sleep-training an infant, so the fact that I've squeezed reading into the small windows of time that could have been spent sleeping, eating, or bathing is really saying something. It was worth it.

If I'm wrong, and YOU are actually the only woman left in America who hasn't read "The Help," you should. What a beautiful, brave story. "The Help" is Kathryn Stockett's first novel, and I'm afraid she might not have thought things through before passing this little gem along to her publishing company, because seriously, how is she going to top it next time? Her character development is so rich, and the interplay between them is both funny and heart-wrenching. It's been a long time since I've both loved and loathed characters so deeply.

Last night, I went and saw the movie. Although the sets and costumes were like cotton candy for my eyes, I missed so many of the details included in the book. Still, for the $5 movie ticket, I was really glad I went.

In short, you should read "The Help." Or go see the movie. Or both.

2 comments:

Crissy and Kevin said...

I just finished the help too! Loved it. Still need to go see the movie

Deanne Hammons said...

Love your blog Meagan..I haven't read the book yet but plan to..Keep writing. I love your stories