Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Swimming Wading in the Water

During the summer in Texas, having access to a swimming pool is almost as essential as having access to oxygen. Almost. So, when one of our dear friends invited us over for a dip this afternoon, I jumped at the chance.

Ben's swimming experience so far has been limited to our bathtub, so I dug through his closet and found that the only swimsuits I have for him are 6-12 months. He was born on a Tuesday so that makes him... just over 9 weeks old. I reasoned, "Better too big than to small." I felt a little sad that Tim wouldn't be there to witness Ben's first time in the pool, but my translucent skin cried out, "Forget about Tim, these gams haven't seen the sun since last September!"

When I put Ben's little suit on him, my initial suspicions were confirmed. He can certainly grow into it.
Well, it's not like he was going to attempt the backstroke. So what if it was a little big?

We have had some crazy storms the last few nights, so the pool water was a little cooler than usual. Read: *really* cool. The instant I began dipping his little legs in, his eyes got really wide and he started shaking. Hint taken.

Basically, Ben's first swimming experience amounted to me holding him out of the water while I waded in the pool. I think his feet skimmed the surface a few times, so I'm sure that counts.

All was not lost. We didn't do lots of swimming, but we hung with some good friends, enjoyed a delicious lunch, and you can't see through the skin on my arms anymore. Still, I think Ben might feel as if I oversold the whole "swimming" thing.

3 comments:

Allison said...

you look great - your arms are so skinny! ben is too precious.

AMZ said...

It was fun seeing you and having Ben experience his first swim at my house! Love you guys!

the hunters said...

He is PRECIOUS in that outfit! ha. so sweet!! you also look fantastic :)