Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Big Changes.

For the last four years, I've told anyone who asks that I have the best job in the world.

As a Special Event Coordinator for the USO, I have the unique privilege of spending every day with our troops and their families. As one of our volunteers always says, "America's bravest and best." So true. My job is to help the community connect with our troops. It is fun, fulfilling, important work.

If you ever need a little pick-me-up, go to the airport and shake hands with a soldier returning from a war zone. Few things in life will put things in perspective and renew your sense of gratitude faster than that hand shake. If you're feeling sorry for yourself, watch a wife put her husband on a plane headed to Iraq or Afghanistan. I have these opportunities every day, and my job allows me to extend them to others, as well. It's a job I don't think I could ever get tired of.

Above and beyond working with the military, I adore other aspects of this job. I get to work at the airport. I suppose some people might not get as much of a kick out of it as I do, but I appreciate it every day. I get to watch people run into the arms of their loved ones. I soak in the energy and the flurry of activity. This is a GREAT place for people-watching. On stressful days, I can step away for a few minutes and watch planes take-off and land. There are dozens of restaurants within a five minute walk from my desk. The airport is literally a city with its own zip code. It's not just about trips, journeys begin and end at the airport, and I love working in the middle of the chaos.

I work with fantastic people. Not just the troops, but more than 300 people who regularly give of their time and energy to serve the soldiers who pass through our city. They are the heart of the organization- USO Volunteers. Also, there are three other women on staff with me who put in way too many hours and get paid way too little and don't think much about it. They make me laugh and they inspire me, and they have become my family.

The best job in the world.

After Ben was born in April, I took my six weeks of maternity leave. It was hard to go back to work, but my mom was keeping Ben and my co-workers were so great. On my first day back, one of them was waiting outside to welcome me, one brought a cake, and one brought a gift for Ben. Still, it was so hard. It wasn't that I didn't want to be at work, it was that I wanted to be at home with Ben. As much as I love my job, I quickly realized my heart wasn’t there anymore. Ultimately, anyone can be the event coordinator for the USO, but only I can be Ben's mom, and I want to be home with him.

Last week, I resigned from the USO and gave up a job I love for a job I love even more. Not a bad deal.

Ben is pretty excited about the decision, too. See?

Tim and I talked and prayed over this decision quite a bit. Although nothing could be better than spending all day every day with our little guy, giving up an income is going to be a huge adjustment for us. We are trusting God to provide for us now, just as He always has. Things will be tight, but we aren't the first family to make this sacrifice, and we won't be the last. We are stepping out in faith to do what we feel is best for our family.

To everything there is a season, and I'm pretty excited about this one...

4 comments:

Aimee @ SmallAnchors.com said...

what an amazing story of thankfulness, exchanging your job for that sweet Ben and all of the trusting you will build along the way! i worked from home about 20-25 hours a week until jack was 10m old. i had a flex schedule, only worked when he was sleeping --- but then, he stopped sleeping as much and for about 4 weeks i was in the "be quiet, i'm on the phone" phase -- when i realized, nothing better than being there for him 100% (minus the babysitter for a few hour days and the parents in town days!). he have really had to rely on God the past 3 1/2 years --- and i wouldn't change the spiritual growth or learning to rely/trust/obey our mighty God for anything! praying for you & tim -- God is good. He will provide all of your needs!!

Amanda said...

Meg,

I felt the same way as you as soon as I laid eyes on my little one! I resigned from my position when he was 8 weeks old. It made me sick to think of leaving him, and insanely jealous to think that someone else would get to spend all day with my baby : ) You are going to have a wonderful time staying home with baby Ben. Cherish every moment because they grow within a blink of an eye!

Best Wishes,
Amanda

Anonymous said...

Steve and I were in a similar situation (a 100 years ago!) :) When Sherri was born, my salery was more then 1/2 our income, and while we weren't hurting financially, it didn't seem like we had much extra money at all. But we got really good at cutting corners! We literally only ate out on our birthdays and anniversary, we had lots of pasta, shopped at thrift stores when we really needed new clothes, etc, etc. I have never, ever regretted that decision. SO PROUD of you guys!! Love you and prayin for you! -Wendy

Julie Boozer said...

Meagan, you don’t need approval from me or anyone else, but I’ll give it to you anyway – you and Tim are doing the right thing! Not because I think every mom should stay home with her kids, but because God always blesses obedience, and He blesses it abundantly. Most especially when that obedience means going against what the world says to do, but instead thoughtfully weighing the cost and consciously choosing a God-ordained path that requires sacrifice and trust. Ben, like most kids, will be fine whether he’s with you or a babysitter, whether he’s vaccinated or not vaccinated, whether he wears cloth or disposable diapers, and whether he eats organic baby food or Cheetos. What will make a difference in his life is having parents who follow their Lord even when it’s not easily accomplished. You’ve given him that gift, and God will honor it.

For the record, I stayed home, vaccinated, used a cloth diaper only once & never again, and had at least one kid for whom Cheetos were the first solid food, and from eternity’s perspective none of that will matter. Just teach Ben to love the Lord & follow Him...that’s all.