Friday, January 4, 2013

Christmas: Take Two

Since we were in Houston and my parents were in Montana for Christmas, we did Christmas with my family the following weekend. 

Tim spent the evening before our celebration assembling Ben's big surprise from his Great Nana and Papap in Montana- a train table!  My dad stopped by to pick something up and just stood there smiling and nodding in sympathy. "Yep... I've been there..."


Tim was so frustrated, and I heard him mutter some of the funniest things I've ever heard him say (and can't record here!) but I reminded him over and over that this is just one of those fun rites of passage for parents at Christmas time.  In the end, the table looked great!


In our household I am definitely the one who geeks out for Christmas. When I was growing up, my parents made Christmas a huge deal for us and established so many wonderful traditions and memories. I still love Christmas the way I did when I was six.  I pack every single possible bit of Christmas excitement into late October/November/December... and Tim is usually pretty good-natured about going along with it all. 

This year Tim both thrilled and surprised me by really getting into it, too.  After arriving home from Houston, I was pretty tired from all the festivities and travel, and I was willing to keep things low-key. Tim suggested we have Cracker Barrel cater our "Christmas morning " (on the 28th) breakfast.  Yum!  He even went to pick it up at 6:30 that morning (not a work morning, people!).

After assembling the train table, getting the breakfast plans in place, helping me straighten up the house, putting laundry away, and building a fire for the next morning, Tim decided to hang streamers in the hallway for Ben to run through.  I'll admit that I was a little "mixed" on this, as it seemed like more of a birthday deal than a Christmas deal, but all he asked was for me to direct him to where we keep the streamers, so I kept my mouth shut.

As we were getting in bed that night, I asked Tim about his apparent surge of Christmas spirit.  "You just seem so into it all of a sudden."  His response was so sweet:  "I really wants to create fun memories for Ben so that he loves Christmas as much as you do."  What a guy!

The next morning, Tim was proven right on the streamer idea.  Ben was so excited to run through them on his way out to the living room! 

Maybe a new tradition???
He was equally thrilled to see his Gramma and Grampa, who had been in Montana all week.

Isn't my mom just beautiful?
All gathered around our Christmas morning feast from Cracker Barrel. (Delicious and no dishes to wash!)


After eating, we did the big train table reveal.

Huge....


... huge ...



... huge hit.  Good job, Nana and Papap Kubick!


Ben was so taken with his train table that he was pretty oblivious to all the other gifts in the room.  We just relaxed and drank our coffee and watched him play for quite a while.  Eventually, Tim donned his Santa hat and distributed the rest of the packages.  Love that husband of mine.


Notice the new toothbrush (still in the left hand) as he checks out his new flashlight.
Maybe the only little boy I know who is so excited to receive clothes that he can't wait to put them on.

We had such a great morning celebrating together, although we really missed my brother, who was in St. John for work.  It felt strange not to have him there with us, and we can't wait to have him home in February.

Despite the fact that my brother was gone (sorry, Anthony!), this Christmas really was the best one yet.  Watching Ben's wonder and excitement over everything was so sweet.  I relished all the time we got to spend together with Tim off work. Our celebrations were spread out and lasted longer than usual as we got to see all of our family.  More than anything, having two sons has really personalized the enormity of God's precious gift of sending His own son to us. 

We have so many reasons to rejoice and give thanks.

No comments: