Monday, October 1, 2012

Family Recipes.

One of the very best gifts I received at my bridal shower (almost 9 years ago!) was this notebook full of family recipes from my mom.  Doesn't she have beautiful handwriting?


In the months that I was engaged, mom took the time to write out dozens of recipes that are special to our family. On the back of each recipe she wrote a little story or anecdote, sharing where the recipe came from, a fun memory of when we shared that meal with family or friends, and often some special tips to help me prepare the dish.

Tim and I got married and moved about 1,500 miles away from home, so I cherished that book.  Not only did it guide me through my first few months of solo meal preparation,  it was so comforting to see her familiar handwriting as I stood in the kitchen each evening.

Mom gave me her chili recipe and wrote that she traditionally makes it for the first time each year on Halloween.  It can simmer on the stove all afternoon and she didn't have to worry about cooking while dealing with trick-or-treaters.  Pretty practical!

She also gave me her (famous) chocolate chip cookie recipe and made a list of all the friends who had enjoyed the cookies with me while I was growing up.  Mom brought these cookies to my soccer games and the whole team devoured them.  She baked them for us after school, and handfuls of hungry teenagers would congregate around the kitchen island to eat them (and usually the dough, too).  Mom wrote, "There's a great benefit in having your children's friends hang out at your house- and fresh warm cookies are usually a great magnet!"  Later, when Tim and I were engaged, she shipped boxes of them for him to share with his unit in Iraq.

I love that notebook, and I still use it all the time.  One of my favorite recipes is for "Yummy Orange Cranberry Bread."  The title pretty much says it all.  It is an autumn staple in this house.

Make this recipe once, and I bet it will be a staple in your house, too.  It is perfect with a warm cup of coffee.  Happy October!




Yummy Orange Cranberry Bread

2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 c shortening or margarine
1 tsp grated orange peel (I always use a little more)
3/4 cup orange juice
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup nuts (I love pecans!)

Heat oven to 350. Grease 1 large loaf pan or two smaller ones. (These are great as muffins, too.)

In a large bowl, combine first five ingredients. Using a pastry blender, cut shortening into flour mixture until particles are fairly small.

Stir in the peel, juice, and egg just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Gently fold in cranberries and nuts.

Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If you're using smaller loaf pans, bake only 30-45 minutes, and adjust time accordingly for muffins.

P.S. Thanks for the recipes, Mom!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was one of those friends who loved your Mom's chocolate chip cookies!!!!! :) You're a blessing Ms Meagan - love reading your blog.
love you! Wendy